So, in just a few days we will be going into September which means Freshers Week is just a few weeks away and you’re going to be moving to Birmingham.
So now would be the time to start making a list of everything that you’re going to need in order to survive moving away from home, starting lectures and most important have fun at freshers!!!
The most important list of them all – whether your parents agree or not – Freshers Week List:
So the Fresher Week events have been released and its time to sort out the tickets and outfits that you’re going to wear, most of the events are fancy dress, so in order to get involved and have fun you’re gonna have to make an effort and spend those pennies.
However along with the fancy dress outfits you’re going to need something for pre-drinks – spirit and mixer generally- and some cheap cups that you don’t mind losing.
We all know that at home new kitchen equipment generally just makes an appearance one day, so its probably best you get your parents to make this list… or even better, just get them to go shopping for you…
In the event that your parents are “teaching you independence” and making you sort it out yourself, you’re going to need:
- Pans – one pan may seem ideal, but in the event that you’re going to cook an actual meal you’re probably gonna need 2 or more
- Oven tray – since you have to put your ready meals, pies and pizza on a tray before putting into the oven, also convenient for chips
- Cutlery – make sure you have multiple of knife, forks and spoons as they WILL go missing at some point
- Kitchen utensils i.e. fish slice, tongs, spoons including serving spoon – unless you have asbestos hands and don’t mind getting messy
- Dining set – no one wants to eat off of a students kitchen table!!!
- Oven gloves
- Tea towel
- Dish cloth
- Washing-up liquid
- Microwavable dish – because your microwave is probably gonna be your best friend
- Glasses – need to mix cocktails in something right!?!
Bedroom and bathroom List:
So the basics for a bedroom and bathroom are the same for everyone
- Bed linen
- Wash cloth / Shower Scrunch
- Shower Gel and Soap
- Tooth brush
- Tooth paste
- Laundry Basket – don’t forget your Washing Powder!!!
The rest is up to you to figure out, not everyone has the same things in their room and know what they need and don’t need in order to have a comfortable homely room at university.
Lecture and Seminar list:
Lectures and seminars can require different equipment dependant on the course that you’re doing as well as what you’re going to be comfortable using for note taking. However it is always a good idea to have the basic school equipment with you
- Clear Pencil Case – mainly for exams
- Note pads
- Sticky notes
Make sure that you have multiple pens, pencils and rubbers because like your cutlery they’re going to go missing at some point during your time at university, whether its in your first week, month or year.
Let’s face it though, your account probably isn’t going to cover all of these items, so starting to do the chores and becoming model child to your parents is going to be your best option in order to get everything that you need… Try not to point out to your parents how much booze you’re going to be taking…
If your parents are a bit hard up on you about the amount of alcohol you’re taking, don’t worry you’re going to be in the city centre where there are plenty of late night convenience stores – Tesco on campus as well as Nisa just across the road – where you can get cheap beverages without your parents knowing…
Chloe … x